How Do You Get Rid Of Fruit Flies?
Few issues are more frustrating than the kitchen or bathroom being plagued by fruit or drain flies. On rotting foods and other organic matter contained inside moist drains, the annoying insects thrive. Drain and fruit flies are harmless but they do carry bacteria that can contaminate other foods inside your home. There are many options to fix this issue today, so put down the fly swatter and read about some of the best ways to get rid of drain flies and get your drain back to normal!
What Can You Do to Rid These Fruit Flies
Although it may be possible to use certain insecticides and household pesticides, there are also natural ways to take care of thiss as well. So first, you’ll want to disinfect the drain in question. There are also some forms for this to be done:
- Pour 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup baking soda, and 1 cup vinegar and let the magic work overnight.
- Back it up the following morning with hot water. If necessary, repeat.
- To disinfect, pour half a gallon of water and 1 cup of vinegar or bleach down the pipe.
- To loosen decaying matter, pour boiling water down the sink. Clean the pipelining by using a wire pipe cleaner.
- Follow with additional boiling water.
Create a Trap
You may want to create a homemade trap after sanitizing the drain to capture the remaining flies.
- Cut a clean piece of ripe fruit in a plastic wrap-covered cup.
- Next, with a fork, make tiny puncture marks in the wrap. For capturing fruit flies, this method is great.
- Mix 5 drops of dish soap and a cup and a half of apple cider vinegar and place near the drain
- Heat in the microwave for 15 seconds to attract more flies. (optional)
You will have a problem with your p-trap if these techniques do not work to kill the drain flies.
There is a self-sealing water trap in either kitchen or bathroom sink, which holds approximately two cups of water in a U-shaped bend that lies between the piping and the fixture. Odors and flies will escape if there is no water in the pipe due to holes or lack of use. There could be something wrong with your p trap or drain line with your flies if the flies return.
Schedule a drain cleaning service online and in no time, we can help you clean your drain and return your kitchen to normal.